30 March 2009

Down Unda'

So like usual I have been really bad on updating my blog. I am now in the town of 1770 which is located on the north eastern part of Australia. It is named for the year Cpt. Cook came to Australia. The town itself is very small but there is great surf and sun.
So to fill you all in. I started off 2 weeks ago in Melbourne to visit my good buddy Gleb. We stayed with his folks and had a blast, they were amazing to us and showed us Melbourne, which is a truly awesome city. It struck me as being very European with a hint of San Francisco in there.

We then headed off to Sydney. Sydney is very LA. All the backpackers told me this before but I didn't believe till I got there. It is a cool city though with loads to do. The opera house is much more amazing when you first see it than you expect. We saw a show there as well, an extremely shitty play called the Alchemist. I wouldn't recommend this torture to my worst enemy. Other days we checked out Manly beach and Bondi Beach, which is considered one of the best in the world. It was very cool but I don't see how it's considered one of the best. Major highlight of Sydney was that I got to drive a car :D :D. We went to a party with my brothers friend who he met in Toulouse and the driver was too drunk to drive home. Good ol' responsible me was not and I got the privlege of driving on the left side of the street at night, yay!

We then took a bus to Byron Bay, considered one of the best surf spots in the world. I finally learned to surf there! Everyone kept telling me, "dude if you are from LA how the hell did you not surf already, ....mate" It was friggin awesome and I am addicted to surfing again. I stood up my second time and rode the wave for a while. I thought I was big shit and a natural. Of course the next 6 waves I caught I fell almost instantly and barely stood up, in fact one was such a fast fall I had to bury my face in shame. I did however stand up 3 more time, so go me! I highly recommend Byron Bay to anyone coming down unda. PS we are taking the OzExperience hop-on hop-off tour bus and that is also recommended.

Next destination was Brisbane. Only a few sentences needed for this one. Boring city, shitty dirty hostels. Ok that was 2 sentences but this is the third so bam!

The next part was very exciting, we went to the Australian Zoo. This is the zoo that Steve Irwin started. Everywhere in the zoo there is stuff about him and you really learn to love that guy and realize how much he did for animals. This also had to be the best zoo I have ever been to. The big highlights were the kangaroos, koalas and the tigers. My brother and I met a Dutch guy on the bus and we toured the zoo together. We spent 2 hours just feeding the kangaroos. Best part was the little ones that had the talent to eat the entire feed and leave every single corn kernel there. A joey hopping out of his mother's sack was also sweet as. (sweet as is the kiwi saying that can't get over). Tiger show was super awesome. They had men in the tiger pen playing with them and throwing milk jugs at the window as they jumped for them hitting the water.

We also got to scratch a koala's butt. Lastly feeding an elephant and trying to not let go of the fruit is not the best idea, but highly entertaining.

From the zoo we went to Noosa which had nothing but a few rounds of Ring of Fire, aka King's Cup. From there we went to Rainbow Beach which was the launching platform to the world famous Fraser Island. I have typed too much and I think it's time to hit the bbq up with our newly found british buds. Catch you all later!

0 comments: