14 May 2009

Please, Welcome

So food in China is extremely hit or miss. I have had the best and worst meals of my life here. The big shit here is skewers. Everywhere you go they are grilling all sorts of internal organs and meats on skewers. We went to a place last night, here in Xi'an, and the guy pan fried them chinese style instead of grilling. When I say chinese style I mean there is more grease than humanly possible. Just about everything you get in this country is greasy as hell! So I can't stop thinking of the scene in Rush Hour where Chris Tucker orders from the Chinese food cart. "Man, I don't want any of this greasy ass shit. I want some good food!" It is extremely true.

I have also love how Chinese people take pictures. They stand in front of the camera in a perfect line with there arms to their sides and they stare at the camera with no smile. VERY communistic, Mao would be proud.

So I am in Xi'an now, which is the old capitol of the Qing Dynasty. You might know Xi'an from the Teracotta Warriors, they are about an hour outside of the city. We went to them today and, as many fellow travelers have said, they are very overrated. Most of it is just piles of sand and the signs on the wall remind you that they are still excavating, neato! They don't mind charging 90 yuan for it either, which is about 13 bucks. Very expensive for this part of the world. Actually, in whole, the Chinese love to rip you off at the touristy sites. Luckily I got in on the student price, yay for Chinese people's lack of reading english cards. The main highlight of today was buying my very own little Teracotta Warrior. Hopefully the little fella can make it home with all his extremities intact.

0 comments: